Issues to Refer to Program Leaders
MIra Loma Detention Facility in Lancaster, Calif. (Christian Fuchs — Jesuit Refugee Service/USA)
- Legal matters: upcoming court dates, need for a lawyer, parole affidavits, filing appeals, etc
- Mental and physical health concerns: depression, suicidal symptoms, prolonged illness, sudden weight loss, etc
- Urgent detained immigrant needs: contact with family, immediate or impending release
- Allegations of mistreatment or abuse of a detained immigrant inside the facility
- Unprofessional conduct of detention center staff towards the volunteer
- Requests for material assistance (e.g. money for a detained immigrant’s account)
- Other questions or concerns the volunteer is uncertain how to deal with
Know your boundaries. Determine which needs you can meet and which ones you cannot.
This document has been adapted from the Detention Watch Network’s Visiting Immigrants in U.S. Detention Facilities.